What is it? Not spinach or collard greens, but 1/2 yard of fabric being dyed blue green for the backing on my March TIF project.
This is the first time I’ve tried dyeing anything larger than a fat eighth, so I hope I figured the dye solution correctly and that I didn’t put it in too large a container. I want it to turn out mottled, not evenly dyed.
I am just about to turn the heel on the second of John’s Undulating Rib Socks. The lifeline idea that my friend Meredith gave me last week worked great on the first sock. The specified length wasn’t quite the optimum length for John’s feet, but I wasn’t sure if I had enough yarn to add some extra rows, and if so, how many. So I put in a lifeline by threading in some crochet thread at the end of the last specified row, knitted to the end of the toe, and saw I had some yarn leftover.
Then I merrily ripped out to the lifeline, measuring as I went along, and picked up the stitches being nicely held by the thread. We discovered that it takes 16 yards of yarn to knit this particular toe. This may be a good thing to know in the future.
I had enough yarn to add an additional 5/8″, which is exactly the right measurement for John, with about a yard to spare after completing the toe. Yay! This was a great learning experiment.
John has been totally amazed–while watching me do this and helping me with the calculations–that it takes, for this sock, two and a third football fields’ length of yarn. For just one sock. And he’s not even much of a football fan.