Although I had hoped to get all the way through Designing Tessellations before coming up with a design for my March TIF project, I’ve found that it’s going to take much more time to really study the complete process. So, I decided to cut to the chase and make up a very simple tessellation with the hope of getting at least a major portion of the project done by the end of the month. ‘Not sure I’ll be able to complete it by then, though.
The curved pieces were rotated around the corners and placed on the other sides of the square to make a fairly simple shape.
Putting them together in rotation around one of the corners looks like this:
I’m fitting them together in a row to create what is feeling like a garden path or a flower box, with the purples, greens, and sand colored pieces in the middle and with the blacks and browns in a broken border on the sides and ends. I’m not sure yet how many “blocks” I’ll do–either three or four. I’m planning for this to be a small table runner. I’m using some of my hand-dyed fat eighths, so I don’t have a lot of fabric to work with.
In the “sketch” on the right you can sort of see how the border will be composed at the left of the picture.
At this point I also think I’ll be adding embroidery and bead detailing to further the “details” theme. I’m thinking some small embroidered flowers and leaves on the green and some detailing on the purple. Still in the very preliminary stage of thinking on this, though. I have a suspicion that I will pretty heavily quilt this piece. That’s another reason to think I won’t get it completed by the end of March.
It’s not looking like much yet, but since I hadn’t posted anything definitive on this project I wanted to at least give a hint of what’s to come. All things are subject to change, however.
In the meantime, I’ll continue my way through the tessellations book without the pressure of having to complete it in order to make up a design for the deadline.