My collagraph has finally dried and I did some experimentation with it. First, I painted different elements different colors and printed on some white fabric, placing the fabric over the collagraph and rolling with a brayer to get an impression. The collagraph is on the right and the print made from it on the left.
This was pretty difficult to do, mainly because the objects on my collagraph have such fine lines. They were hard to paint, and not a lot of the paint adhered to the fabric. But it still turned out kind of neat.
I still really like this collagraph, but it is definitely hard to use.
After I finished the collagraph experiments I moved on to monoprinting from a glass plate. This is what I have really been looking forward to in this class.
I discovered that I had to work very quickly with only a small section at a time, or the paint would begin to dry out and not print well.
This is really a fun technique, and I’m quite happy with the way my first print turned out. Here’s the print.
And this is what the glass looked like when I was finished. Some paints printed better than others, while some left more paint on the glass than on the fabric.
I’m going to work more on this print, adding embroidery, beads, and quilting to complete the piece. I also think I’ll try this drawing in other colors; as well as use some other drawings I’ve done.
This piece was done on 100% cotton, so I think I’ll try some other fabrics, too. I have a piece of really sheer interfacing fabric that might print up nicely.
I REALLY like this technique. It has lots of potential.