I am counting on my belief that my husband does not read my blog as I post a picture of the Bison Down (yes, that’s bison as in buffalo) “Buffy Tracks” scarf I have begun knitting him for his birthday. He actually bought the yarn and pattern for me to knit for him in October at the Taos Wool Festival and I hadn’t planned to make it until later, but yesterday I decided to try to make it for his birthday next week, in secret.
It’s not going to be easy because I don’t have much opportunity when he’s not around to work on it, and it’s not a pattern I can just stop in the middle of and whisk away when he walks in. But I’m so glad I started knitting with this yarn. It’s wonderful. I would describe it as velvety and buttery, if you can describe yarn that way.
So I’m going to hide it under my Claret Perfect Sweater whenever he walks in and hope (1) that I don’t get caught and (2) that I can actually get it finished for his birthday. I won’t be able to block it, of course, until after, because then he’d see it for sure.
Speaking of my Claret Perfect Sweater, I finished the back today. It went pretty well and relatively quickly (one week). It seems as though it’s going to fit well, too.
I pulled six more pieces of fabric out of the dye cups today and was so excited to see what happened.
I had some leftover dye solutions from my color wheel project and six pieces of PFD fabric left. So I stuffed the fat eighths into 5 oz. size cups with orange, yellow-orange, violet, blue-violet, red-violet, and blue-green dye solutions and got some wildly amazing results.
Here’s the jumble of fabrics right out of the drier.
From left to right:
Something really interesting happened that I did not expect. When the fabrics sat scrunched up in the dye baths with the mixed colors (composed of various mixtures of red, yellow, and/or blue) the primary colors separated out and gave the fabric multi-colored effects. I just thought there would be light and dark shades of the dye bath color. This separated effect is really exciting.
The red and yellow made more clear striking separations than the blue and red and there was very little color separation with the blue and green. Very interesting. This will be fun to do more experimentation with in the future.
I can see lots of possibilities for using these fabrics. The red/orange/yellow ones are soooo Pentecost!